The Boom Site is the St. Croix Valley's first student-led literary publication
The magazine is published three times a year digitally and once a year as a printed anthology. We aim to offer a safe space that publishes creative writing to be enjoyed by fellow peers and community members.
This summer, thanks to an Arts Learning grant from the Metropolitan Regional Arts Council, we are able to offer a two week creative writing intensive in August. Find out more information by checking out our "Your Story, Your Time to Tell It" flyer.
The Boom Site Literary Magazine Submission Guidelines
Thank you for your interest in The Boom Site! Our magazine accepts literary works of prose, poetry, and visual art pieces. Our team is excited to read your work, but we have a few guidelines for you to follow while submitting your writing.
We accept original work from middle and high school students in the St. Croix Valley (schools such as Stillwater, Mahtomedi, White Bear Lake, St. Croix Prep, and Hudson) and beyond. While we encourage originality, please do not send us work with profanity. All work should be submitted by the author (e.g. not a parent or teacher). We are open to simultaneous submissions, but please notify us as soon as possible if your piece(s) have been accepted elsewhere. Submissions should not have been published anywhere else, and if they are published anywhere within six months of appearing in The Boom Site, you must credit us as the original source.
Sign up to receive the St. Croix Valley's first youth initiated, youth written, literary magazine! Emailed out three times a year and published once as a printed anthology, The Boom Site features the work of some of the region's best student writers and illustrators.
• We accept prose submissions of short stories, fiction, creative nonfiction, excerpts, screen / play-writing excerpts, and similar works. You may submit up to three prose pieces per issue with a limit of 1,500 words for each work.
• We accept poetry submissions of any style and have a 50 line maximum per poem. You may submit up to three poems for each issue.
• We accept visual arts submissions of any style as long it can be viewed in a 2D format.
Please note: publication into a digital issue does not guarantee acceptance into the anthology.
• Please format your prose and poetry pieces into a PDF or Word file. To ensure unbiased review, do not include your name anywhere on the file.
• Please send your visual arts submission(s) in JPEG or PNG file format. Submissions should be sent in the highest quality possible.
• In the body of the email, include your name (and your name as you would like it to appear in the magazine, if different), grade, school, email, phone number, and a third-person biography of yourself (this will appear in the magazine if your work is accepted for publication). In addition, we would appreciate if you told us how you learned about the magazine.
• Email your submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name in the subject line. All submissions must be received by April 17, 2017. Expect to hear back from us soon after that with our publication decision.
We can't wait to read your work! Thank you for submitting.